Phyllis Staines, Realtor
(904) 476 - 7653(904) 476 - 7653

Is Your 2018 Proposed Notice of Property Tax Correct?

Q. My 2018 Notice of Proposed Property Tax is wrong. What can I do?

A. If you live in Duval county, go online to and click on Property Appraiser, then Property Search. Bring up your property record to ensure the market value, square footage, number of rooms and lot size are correct. If the home in question is your primary, owner occupied residence, make sure your exemptions are still in place. If after researching your property record you still disagree with the figures, contact your Property Appraiser’s office to protest it. If the Property Appraiser is unable to come to a resolution, you may then file a petition for adjustment with the Duval County adjustment board. You may find out more at

Have a real estate question or need some sound advice? Phyllis answers your questions weekly in her “Ask Phyllis” blog in Saturday’s Florida Times Union newspaper. Every question will receive a response and may be chosen to appear in print in Saturday’s Times Union newspaper. Phyllis can be reached at (904) 476 – 7653 or email

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe Labor Day!